Thursday, July 25, 2013

RIP Rosie Posie...

Rosie went on to greener pastures on the evening of 7/23. I got home from work and P told me she was down. I went to check her and it didn't look good. So I gave her another dose of antibiotics and B-complex and some electrolytes. She had missed her weekend dose because I took the kids to Orcas, but missing one dose shouldn't have caused a crash like that.

After I gave her the injections, I went back to check on her about 45 minutes later and she was laying with her neck at an odd angle and only taking a breath every 20 seconds. I got a stool and sat down with her head in my lap and petted her and told her it was ok to go. That I was there for her and it was ok to let go. I swear she heard me because her breaths became farther apart until there were no more. The odd thing about death is that you don't know it's the last breath until about a minute after. I kept thinking there would be another breath to follow but it never came.

 I thought she was improving the week before because she was eating again and was even going out into the field and bossing the other goats around. But I think that it was one last burst of energy before the end. People often do this before they pass. Someone who has been incoherency suddenly becomes coherent and has a few really good days. Such was the case with Rosie.

Someone suggested I do a necropsy to see what the "mass" was inside her that the vet said was a retained fetus. I couldn't bring myself to do it. And what good would it have done? There was no way to get her through this whether it was a retained fetus, tumor or torn uterus.

She was such a sweet goat - always so calm and quiet. But her genetic line obviously has some issues since her daughter died last year and her grandson nearly did. I've not had problems like this with any goats from other lines. I think it is an immune issue with her and her offspring.

I have to admit, that I am glad she finally took her last breath....she is no longer suffering and I no longer have to worry about her. I can focus on and enjoy my healthy goats.

RIP Rosie Posie.....

No comments:

Post a Comment