Tuesday, May 17, 2011

After work plans go sideways....


My plan for the day....get up at 6am. Leave for work at 6:55am. Pick up kids at grandparents at 5pm. Stay for dinner. Go home. Plant corn which I pre-sprouted and is now 2 inches tall (should have been done last weekend but the rain got in the way). Get kids in bed. Milk goat. Clean up kitchen. Sit down and watch Grey's Anatomy on hulu.

Actual day...went as planned except that I stopped at home before picking up kids to check on my doe whose udder, it was reported to me by P, was very full. I find her laying in the barn with goo coming out of her hind end, which means she is going to give birth soon. Call grandparents and have them get kids here asap so they can watch. Wait in barn as goat takes her own sweet time having her baby. Kids get bored and wander off. Goat finally has baby. We wait for her to have more. None show. Grandparents bring dinner over since we missed having dinner at their house. Get kids fed. 30 minutes past their bedtime notice they need to fold and put their laundry away. Kids put away laundry and finally get in bed an hour after their bedtime. Milk goat. Doe still has only one baby - how is that possible when she's as big as a house? Give up on doe. Get half the corn planted.  Clean up half of kitchen because there is only so much room in a dishwasher. Think about sitting down then realize I have to brine two different kinds of cheeses, make bread and pasteurize milk. Look at the clock....it's 30 minutes past my bedtime. Decide to ask P to put the chickens away when he gets home because I am too tired and to go outside again. Instead of watching Grey's Anatomy, I'm blogging.

Darn goat made my relaxing evening turn into complete and utter chaos. But her baby is so cute it's worth it.

~T

No comments:

Post a Comment