Thursday, May 19, 2011

High heels and midnight gardening

The sun was out yesterday - for the 2nd day in a row! This is quite a feat since Western Washington has had a record cold, wet spring. As soon as I got home I threw my heels and slacks in the closet and put on my (fake) crocs and work pants and started planting. Finished the corn, got the tomatoes in and planted the hanging baskets. Finished my chores before 9pm (early) and snuggled into bed in my pjs to watch Grey's Anatomy (finally).  At 10:30pm, I realized that I had not put the row cover over the tomatoes. You see, tomatoes need 50 degree temps at night, and even though it's mid-May, temps are still in the low to mid 40's at night. Crap. I was preparing myself to change back into work clothes and find a flashlight, when P, the wonderful man that he is, texted me that he would do it after work (which means midnight). So I avoided the midnight gardening. Whew. Though I wish I'd been awake to snap a picture of him in his shirt and tie gardening in the dark.

But while on the topic of forgetfulness, I forgot to let the chickens out after I did my milking this morning. I was ready to go to work, complete with my capris and cute high heels. So what do I do? I go let the chickens out while wearing  my heels. This involves me opening up the coop and carefully tip toeing through to open the door to their run, as well as trying to avoid the chickens who are flying off their perches thinking I'm going to let them out into MY yard - I managed to avoid the flying hens but may have a feather or two in my hair, I haven't had time to check yet. You see, when you are as busy as I am, corners must be cut. I have, after all, been known to feed baby goats while wearing a dress. But I have yet to be found midnight gardening in high heels....but given enough time I'm sure it will happen.

~T

No comments:

Post a Comment